Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Anyone with ulcerative colitis?

Ive had ulcerative colitis for about 4 years now and im still struggling to get it into remission. Ive had steroids - prednisolone and they seemed to help but only to a certain point as i still had a real urgency to go to the loo about three times a day. I couldn't tolerate azathioprine as they made me too tired and weak. Iv also tried asacol, pentasa and now im on colazide but all three have given me diarrhoea so i stopped taking them. Ive only taken one dose of colazide and they have given me diarrhoea but im not sure wether to carry on taking them as it may be possible that the diarrhoea could clear up and i could start improving.
Has anyone else had worsening diarrhoea with these drugs and did it improve as you carried on taking it?
Also, has anyone else tried any other drugs that worked e.g.enemas, as i really do not know what to do.
Thanks and feel free to email me if you want to chat about it.
Answer:
Hi, my heart goes out to you as I too suffer with UC. I have had it for about 2 years now. I have tried Prednisolone too, but I have found no medicines really work for me, at three different times during the illness I have been so sick and losing so much blood that I was admitted to hospital. At that point they gave me enemas, I found they gave relief for about 12 hours but then the blood would come back. I have found altering my diet helped a little - I cut out all dairy and fast/fried foods, which helped a bit. I also take four fish oil tablets every day and drink a protein mix when I have a flare-up to make up for all the lost blood.
Hang in there. Good luck I wish you all the best :o)
I've never taken any prescription drugs for colitis but I have found that eating a lower fat diet helps control my symptoms. The foods that seem to make my colitis flare up worst are pork, beef or any fatty cut of meat but especially pork. Also, if I consume too much fiber it makes my stoumach act up. It's weird because I flare up if I have either eaten too much or too little fiber. I find that it's best to get most of my fiber from vegetables and some fruits. Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net