Saturday, October 31, 2009

Anyone ever have symptoms of hypothyroidism...?

only to do a blood test that shows you don't? What do you do? My numbers were off before but I declined treatment. Have been having a whole host of ailments that all point to hypothyroidism. Add to my symptoms DEPRESSION now because they say my blood test is fine! Should I insist on another one? Go in and beg them to figure out what IS wrong? Help!
Answer:
Yep. I had medically induced hypothyroidism. And the doctor who gave it to me wouldn't treat it because the lab test said I was fine. 4 months later, my next test finally showed to his satisfaction I was hypothyroid, and he finally did something about it. 4 months of hell.
Umm Hyperthyroidism is just an overactive metabolism. I should knw. I have it. The only symptom is that you eat alot but you lose weight and you cant really gain weight.
Yes, I'm going thru the very same thing at the moment. I've searched for a doc who treats Hypothroidism based on symptoms instead of blood test results. I've been on Amour Thyroid for approx. two months now and I already notice a difference. I looked for possible docs by visiting the Amour Thyroid website.

1 comment:

  1. Hypothyroidism is a condition caused when the thyroid does not produce enough hormones to keep the organs, cells and tissues of the body balanced. The majority of people who have this condition suffer from extreme fatigue, weight gain and dry skin and hair.

    The most common blood tests performed to detect the disease are the TSH, T3 and T4. As with any blood test, diagnostic laboratories have values or guidelines to determine if the sample blood indicates a problem. With thyroid testing it is referred to as a 'range'. When the results fall within that given range, the thyroid is considered to be normal. Depression-like symptoms are not uncommon.

    Many paople who have tested within that normal range continue to have symptoms that are typical of hypothyroidism.

    There is another test, a more definitive test that can be done. However, it is my understanding that many doctors do not perform this test very often. It is called TRH.

    Blood is drawn to get a baseline reading of TSH. It is followed by an injection of TRH. After a interval of about an hour (possibly longer) a blood is drawn a second time to get another reading of TSH.

    These two TSH readings will give a more conclusive diagnosis if thryoid disease is present.

    As previously posted, Armour Thyroid was prescribed for this condition. As the present time, it is no longer available in the US. There are several other synthetic hormone replacements available and most people respond very well with them

    I suggest you do some research on the symptoms, tests and treatment of thyroid disease. But most importantly, discuss how your feel with your doctor and ask about the TRH test.

    Hope you find an answer and begin to feel well soon.

    PS. I've had thyroid disease since I was about 7 years old; I'm in 50's now.

    ReplyDelete

 
vc .net