Saturday, October 31, 2009

Anyone here ever had their gallbladder taken out?

Apprently my gallblader isn't working right and I need to have it removed. (Laparoscopic surgery). I was just wondering how you felt after the surgery.was there any pain when you woke up, and for how long do you have to recover? Do they give you pain meds when you leave the hospital, and finally...how are you now? Did you have to change your diet? Any info will help.thanks
Answer:
Yes, I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. Before every time I would eat greasy foods or ice cream, hotdogs, things like that I would end up throwing up because the gallbladder was not functioning properly. I had an ultrasound done first and I had several stones and one was blocking the main duct. My surgeon friend advised a Laproscopic surgery. It was done without any complications. Yes, there is pain but it was not severe. At first I was given narcotic-Demerol-injections for pain. After the day was over and I could keep water and food down without vomiting(which is sometimes a problem after anesthesia. My IV was removed and I was given pain medication by mouth, which was strong enough to help with the pain. I spent the night in the hospital and was discharged the next morning with a prescription for pain and an antibiotic. Yes, you will be sore for awhile, but it's not bad. The only change I was told in my diet, was to lay off of fatty, greasy foods, and to work them slowly into your diet. If you have greasy foods right away you will become nauseous and crummy. Sometimes the doctor may remove the stones and leave the gallbladder. I asked for the complete removal, I didnot want to go through the same surgery again. I would highly suggest that you talk with your doctor. He or she will give you instructions for after the surgery. He will also inform you as what to expect before you have an operation. Sounds like you are a little bit frightened, that is quite normal. Remember- Ask your doctor questions- anyone that you need the answers for- that their job. Take care and I hope you have a speedy recovery and try not to worry too much. Ask questions to the medical staff.
I had mine taken out in 1993. I had two other things wrong too, so I had to stay in hospital for 13 days, but usually, just the Gall Bladder surgery, you are only in there three or four days.
I had a little pain, but not much. It is recommended that you rest and eat certain foods, for about a week. Yes, you get some pain meds when you leave the hospital.
Right now, I'm doing fine, but I have to be careful on how much greasy foods I eat. After a month or so, you will be fine.
I had it done in Jan unfortunately for me I was part of the 1% of the population that had an extra duct from the liver and it was not seen so I had complications. I had to wear a tube for a month. Anyways its all good now but usually it goes without a hitch. You have to have it out because its not good to have it in when its not working and maybe you have stones. Now that I have it out the only problem and I dont really call it a problem but I have bowel movements alot softer..but I feel great.
my mom. she felt sore and she had terrible scars. she said she was glad she did it though. she had to have it. she had a gallstone. ouch! yes they prob will give u some pills to tkae for pain afterwards. not to take all the time though... yes you have to eat a little lighter. she cant eat big meals or allot of food ea. day. she cant hold alot w/ it gone. she can still eat, cut not like 6 meals aday. and she had to pay bills for it. that's all i can say, and i hope u make it through it. stay healthy!
Well I didnt have it taken out but one of my family members did in 2004 and he said it felt like someone punched him in the stumache and his shoulder felt weird after the surgery. After he had it taken out he ate simple foods that were easy to digest and he's fine now. He was in the hospital for a few days and he felt better after about a week. I don't know if they give him pain meds or not.
Mine was out the same way about 9 years ago, I was out within 4 hours. Yes most will give you some vicoden, since I have a chronic illness I did not find the pain bad at all after I woke, just a bit sore. I have liver disease so I can't give a true assesment of how i am doing (I have pretty severe Lupus), but I do know I am much improved. and yes diet change is a big help. I dont deprive, but I don't eat fast food more than once a week, and I do have a sweet tooth, but try to hold back, and keep it to dark chocolate, and the occasional few bites of ice cream, try to stay away from white starchy food, I dont like fried food so thats not an issue,and I may have a couple drinks a year. Also, I have three little whitish scars, that are a it raised, they don't bother me much. I have much larger ones, lol.
Good Luck
chris
My wife had it done, its a very safe procedure and recovery is in no time at all, and the scar is so small you can hardly see it, nothing to worry about. Good luck.
Gallbladder surgery is very safe nowadays. My cousin got her Hernia and colostomy surgery in India by a company called Indian Health Guru Consultants. The Price for Minimal Invasive and Laparoscopy surgery is very less in India. She paid 25% of the cost she was quoted in America.Indian Health Guru Consultants is very famous in India. They arrange Hernia, Appendectomy, Thyroid and other laparoscopy surgery for foreigners in India.
I read a lot about them in the Newspapers and about their patient stories. They arrange financing for USA, Canadian, UK and other international patients who plan to have surgery abroad for low price, as the Hernia, Colostomy and other minimal invasive surgery is not covered by insurance. They also have photos pasted of their International patients. You can checkout their website. There are huge cost savings. As a doctor I personally believe that surgery can be easily handled in India, as the quality of healthcare available In India is simply best in the world. The surgeons are USA/UK trained and facilities are 5 star.http://www.indianhealthguru.com...
Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net